Republican gubernatorial candidate Bob Stefanowski looks likely to take a break from the campaign trail following a positive COVID-19 test, which he announced Monday in a short statement.
“I just wanted to let everyone know that I tested positive for COVID-19 this morning after finding out I had a positive exposure,” Stefanowski said. “I am vaccinated, boosted, and feeling fine so far. I will continue to follow all CDC protocols.”
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, anyone who tests positive should stay home for at least five days or 10 days if they developed significant symptoms or have a weakened immune system. The CDC also encourages people who have tested positive to wear a mask and refrain from travel for 10 days.
The diagnosis came less than three weeks after the 60-year-old Madison businessman secured the Republican nomination to seek a rematch against Gov. Ned Lamont. At an unrelated event Monday, Lamont wished Stefanowski a speedy recovery.
“Look, I wish Bob the very best. I’ve been through this, probably the majority of Connecticut people have been through it whether they know it or not. Take it easy for a few days, you’ll be back on the trail,” Lamont said.
Both candidates enter the general election leg of this year’s campaign amid heightened COVID-19 metrics. As of Friday afternoon, Connecticut’s seven-day average infection rate sat at nearly 14.2% and 354 patients were hospitalized with the virus around the state.
“It’s a reminder that this thing isn’t over yet,” Lamont said, “and a reminder that you have the ability to keep yourself safe and you have a reminder to know what to do if you do test positive and make sure you don’t infect any of the people around you.”