HARTFORD, CT — With one day to go it looks like enrollment in Connecticut’s health insurance exchange will be about the same as last year, much to the relief of those who run the program.
“We’re at 106,000 enrolled,” Access Health CT CEO James Wadleigh said at a press conference Thursday. Wadleigh said he believes when all the numbers are crunched after the midnight Friday deadline that the number of sign ups will be close or might even surpass last year’s 110,000.
“I’m not sure I would have guessed that two months ago,” Wadleigh said, noting that this year’s open enrollment period was the shortest ever at seven months.
Wadleigh said the shorter enrollment period combined with all “noise and rumor and confusion coming out of Washington, D.C.” about health care mandates made this year’s campaign one of the most challenging.
Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman reminded those who still haven’t signed up that they still have time.
“Don’t wait until the last minute,” Wyman said.
Wyman and Wadleigh both stressed that the tax bill passed by the Senate and House on Wednesday does not mean Obamacare has been repealed, as President Donald Trump said.
The individual mandate, which requires most Americans (other than those who qualify for a hardship exemption) to carry a minimum level of health coverage, is actually still in effect for 2018.
“The elimination of the health care mandate has no bearing on next year,” Wadleigh said, imploring people to still sign up for insurance.
Wyman added “It won’t be the first time the president has said something that’s not correct.”
Wadleigh said Access Health workers will spend the days between Christmas and New Years handling all the last minute applications that come in to ensure everyone is enrolled by Jan. 1, 2018.
Wadleigh said 75 of the 450 call center representatives are waiting to take people calls – at 1-855-805-4325.
People can also enroll or get help by going to www.accesshealthct.com