The federal government extended the Jan. 1 health insurance enrollment deadline until midnight Thursday, but Connecticut residents won’t get that luxury.
A spokeswoman with Access Health CT, Connecticut’s health insurance exchange, said it was not going to extend the Dec. 15 deadline.
If a Connecticut consumer was in the “queue before midnight [Dec. 15], AHCT will reach out to each of them and make sure they are enrolled or re-enrolled for January 1, 2016,” Kathleen Tallarita, a spokeswoman for Access Health CT, said Wednesday. “Everyone else has until Jan 15th to enroll for Feb. 1st coverage and until January 31, 2016, to enroll for March 1st coverage.”
The deadline to obtain coverage starting on Jan. 1 was Dec. 15. It’s unclear how many Connecticut residents may have met that deadline because Access Health CT has refused to provide the latest enrollment information.
As of Dec. 8, according to data gleaned from a request through the Freedom of Information Act, 103,706 individuals had enrolled in plans with the four private insurance carriers.
Access Health CT has set a goal of enrolling between 105,000 and 115,000 customers this year. Last year, they enrolled about 110,000 customers before the end of March, but that enrollment dwindled to about 96,900 by July.
Last week, exchange officials expressed concern that about 10,000 who didn’t opt to auto-renew their policies hadn’t signed up, and 2,200 were in danger of losing their subsidies for failing to file their 2014 tax returns.
According to the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services, more than 4.17 million customers signed up for health insurance through HealthCare.gov between Nov. 1 and Dec. 12.