Courtesy of the DOT traffic cams

(Updated 12:37 p.m.) Connecticut residents obeyed Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s travel ban and as a result there were only 15 accidents on the state’s highways and one minor injury.

“That’s spectacular and I’m very grateful people listened,” Malloy said Tuesday morning at his first storm briefing of the day.

He said under normal circumstances Connecticut would have expected hundreds of accidents on the highways, but people listened and stayed off the roads.

Malloy lifted the statewide travel ban at 2 p.m. Tuesday. Earlier in the day he lifted the ban on local roads in Fairfield and Litchfield counties, which saw less snow than anticipated.

“We’re not saying we want you to get on the roads,” Malloy said. “…on the other hand we’re saying we understand that people need to get to places and get to jobs.”

Malloy anticipates that commerce will return to normal on Wednesday.

While the blizzard didn’t pack quite the punch promised by meteorologists, eastern Connecticut is still receiving significant snowfall. The area along Interstate 395 seems to be the hardest hit.

The high winds remain along the coast, but the coastal flood warning has been lifted, Malloy said.

Courtesy of CT-N

Despite the high winds, the power has stayed on for the most part. Connecticut Light & Power was reporting only 28 outages Tuesday morning and no outages were reported overnight for United Illuminating.

Malloy expressed optimism that the state would be up and running by Wednesday. He said all state employees should report to work Wednesday morning.

The blizzard warning for New York City was changed to a winter storm warning Tuesday morning and Malloy said Metro-North Railroad will resume service as of 1 p.m. Full-service will resume Wednesday morning and parking lots at train stations will be cleared for commuters.

CT Transit bus service will resume on Wednesday morning to give local communities more time to clear the roads.