Access Health CT, Connecticut’s health insurance exchange, canceled its meetings in July and August, but in light of several significant issues, a Republican Senator is asking it to reconsider.
Sen. Len Fasano wrote Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman Tuesday and asked her how the Access Health CT board would be informed of several ongoing issues, including the cancellation of several hundred customers from their policies.
Earlier this month, Access Health CT CEO Kevin Counihan said a programming error caused the wrong tax subsidy to be applied to the plans of about 5,748 individuals and about 900 of those were dropped from policies leaving them uninsured.
In his letter to Wyman, Fasano detailed the problems with Connecticut’s health insurance exchange over the past few months. From the programming glitch, which was scheduled to be fixed on July 18, to the security breach involving the backpack left on a Hartford street by a call center worker—Fasano expressed concern about the lack of dialogue.
“I believe that Access Health CT is working very hard to correct the problems caused by the glitch, but I would like to see the board involved in this process as well to ensure that the fix is appropriate, to offer suitable advice or assistance, and to review and verify that all people impacted by the problem have in fact been assisted,” Fasano wrote.
He said it was his understanding that the board canceled all of its meetings in July and August and he wanted them to reconsider that in light of these issues.
In a statement Tuesday, Wyman’s spokeswoman said the board has decided to meet in August.
“While the Access Health Board is not meeting in July, they are rescheduling their August meeting,” Juliet Manalan said in a statement. “ In the interim, Access Health is providing updates to Board members, and, as always, Lieutenant Governor Wyman is in regular contact with CEO Kevin Counihan and Access Health leadership.”