Gov. Dannel P. Malloy met with U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood Thursday morning to try and get assurances that Connecticut would receive the $40 million it was promised to double-track 10 miles of rail between Newington and New Britain.
Malloy, who spoke with reporters by phone from Washington D.C., said the funding could be reallocated if it’s not given to Connecticut by April 8. Asked to explain why the money could disappear Malloy didn’t have a good answer and finally blurted “it’s bureaucracy.”
Malloy said he’s confident he received the assurance he needed from LaHood that the $40 million in rail funds would be released before April 8.
Malloy said he also discussed Connecticut’s interest in receiving some of the high speed rail funds rejected by the state of Florida earlier this month. In addition there were conversations about light rail, trolley service, and distracted driving laws.
Before heading to the White House Thursday evening, Malloy said he will meet with U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman and attend a Democratic Governors Association event with Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn and business interests. He said he’s trying to entice businesses to relocate to Connecticut, but wouldn’t elaborate more on what types of businesses he would be meeting with.