Sen. Jonathan Harris of West Hartford, Majority Leader Denise Merrill of Mansfield, and former New Haven Alderman Gerry Garcia can all breath a sigh of relief with news that Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz won’t seek another term.
Bysiewicz, who was uncertain about what the future would hold after the Supreme Court’s ruling Tuesday, said definitively she will not run for office this year.
“While I’m obviously disappointed by the Supreme Court’s ruling, I respect their decision,” Bysiewicz said. “And while, I’m extremely grateful and honored by the outpouring of support and encouragement that I’ve received, I will not be a candidate for any office in 2010.”
Bysiewicz who had been the frontrunner in the race for governor dropped out of that race in January and switched to the race for attorney general after Attorney General Richard Blumenthal announced his to seek U.S. Sen. Chris Dodd’s seat.
Even though she won’t be running Bysiewicz promised to stay involved.
“Although I won’t be running for office this year, I will be spending every single moment I can working hard for Democrats up and down the ballot this fall. Make no mistake about it, my commitment to the principles and ideals of the Democrat party will never waver,” Bysiewicz said. “Your friendship has meant the world to me and I look forward to continuing our fight for the values we all share in the days and months ahead.”
Bysiewicz has been the Secretary of the State for the past 12 years.