Former Stamford Mayor Dan Malloy has been exploring a run for governor for more than a year now, but on Wednesday amongst a crowd of more than 100 supporters he made it official.
Standing across the street from the state Capitol with the sun in his eyes Malloy talked about why the state of Connecticut needs new leadership and why he thinks he’s the one to provide it.
“In so many ways being governor of the state of Connecticut is like being a mayor of a major United States city,” Malloy said. “It’s time that we have that kind of leadership in that building over there.”
Malloy is one of five candidates vying for the Democratic nomination. Since he got into this race last February, there have been at least two candidates to drop out of the race, namely former House Speaker James Amann and Sen. Gary LeBeau.
Those still considering a run include Ridgefield First Selectman Rudy Marconi and Simsbury First Selectwoman Mary Glassman. Juan Figueroa, former president of the Universal Health Care Foundation, is petitioning to get on the ballot, instead of seeking delegate support at the May convention. And Greenwich cable executive, Ned Lamont, officially announced his candidacy last month. On the Republican side six candidates are seeking the nomination for governor.
“There are those that travel this state and say they want to run government like a business,” Malloy said. “Please understand I want to run Connecticut’s government like a great government that meets our needs, that gives opportunity universally, that actually understands the aspirations of the people of Connecticut.”
Malloy, who lost the Democratic primary for governor in 2006 to New Haven Mayor John DeStefano, said Wednesday that each race stands on its own merits.
“We have a different time…You know what’s different about this race? Is people want a proven leader. Somebody who knows how to move government and make it work for people.”
Malloy doesn’t seem too concerned about the possibility he may be outspent by his opponents, including Lamont who said the day that he announced he would not participate in the publicly funded campaign system. Republican Tom Foley has also said he wouldn’t participate in the publicly funded system and has already spent $2 million of his own money on the campaign.
Malloy said he will get his message to the people with a “wealth of ideas, a wealth of experience, and quite frankly enough money to get our message across.”
Lamont the only other declared candidate on the Democratic side welcomed Malloy to the race Wednesday. “Connecticut is facing significant challenges, and I look forward to a serious discussion of the best way to bring jobs back our towns and cities and get our state back on track,” Lamont said in a statement.