Christine Stuart photo
Sen. Louis DeLuca, R-Woodbury (Christine Stuart photo)

A motion filed by prosecutors for Thursday’s sentencing of a trash company manager details how individuals with alleged mob ties failed to carry out an assault of the man state Sen. Louis DeLuca, R-Woodbury, said was abusing his granddaughter.

New court papers filed in Richard Caccavale’s sentencing say trash hauler James Galante turned to Caccavale to carry out the assault. DeLuca, who plead guilty to threatening charges last month, asked Galante to have one of his associates pay the man a visit.

Galante passed DeLuca a note that asked, “Do you want me to have someone pay him a visit?” DeLuca said “Yes.”

Galante then turned to Caccavale to handle the $500 job.

The assault, which never occurred, was described as “deck building” in phone conversations between Caccavale and the individual he hired to carry out the assault.

“On April 7, 2005, Caccavale, using coded language that referred to the visit as “deck building,” learned that his associate had found “a guy to build that deck” and that it would cost $500. Caccavale suggested that the guy should start by “scouting it out” and Caccavale would then go over the rest of the details. Caccavale expressed reluctance at saying too much on the phone,” court documents state.

“On April 8, 2005, the individual told Caccavale that his guy is ready to “do that deck” because the weather is nice. Caccavale opined that he did not want any “heat” and that he hoped “the sun’s not out,” believed to be a reference to law enforcement. Concerned that the intended beating was imminent, on or about April 9, 2005, federal and state law enforcement officers went to the residence of one of Galante’s associates. Upon seeing a state police trooper on his street, the Galante associate cancelled the planned ‘visit’.”

In the end, Caccavale and his associate were unable to find their target and decided to lie about the visit to Galante. “They discussed the cover story they would tell Galante to assure him the mission had been accomplished,” court documents state.

Federal authorities don’t believe the assault ever took place.