Budget negotiations were supposed to be going on around 11 a.m. today, but according to a press release from Gov. M. Jodi Rell at 12:21 p.m. they can’t be going very well.
In the press release Rell said she’s asking state agency heads to prepare contingency plans if a state budget isn’t in place by July 1.
“We are actively negotiating – but I have a constitutional obligation to ensure that the people of Connecticut are protected and laws of our state are faithfully executed,” Rell said. “That includes making sure that there is a system in place for continuing essential state services even if a budget for the next fiscal year is not in place.”
Senate President Donald Williams, D-Brooklyn, said in an email to the media that “Rather than planning for failure, the governor should show up for the budget negotiations to help reach a successful conclusion. “If the governor had been present for any of the ongoing negotiations, she would know that we’ve made great progress.”
“I am committed to finishing the negotiation process in good faith, and would welcome the governor’s participation,” Williams said.
According to the Journal Inquirer’s front page story Monday, state budget negotiations took a step backward over the week after Rell renewed her call to phase out the estate tax on wealthy estates.
“Leaders of the legislature’s Democratic majority, who’ve been repeatedly frustrated by the Republican governor’s rejection of their progressive income-tax proposals, said Rell’s pursuit of a tax break for families inheriting more than $2 million is unfair,” Keith Phaneuf of the Journal Inquirer reports.
Click here to continue reading Keith’s article.